Monday, February 27, 2006

I've got an iPod...

...and I'm gonna use it. I must be the last person on earth to acquire one of these little snazzcards, but it's worth the wait. It's a Nano, a birthday present from my brother, and it's taken a few months for me to get it up and running due to what is now a defunct computer. New computer works smoothly and beautifully with it, however (touch wood), and this morning I uploaded my current favourite CD and switched the thing on. A second later I was swimming in technicolour Chausson.

HEAVEN.

Now I understand why people wander about in worlds of their own while using their iPods. I well remember the Walkman effect in the early 1980s - when everyone went nuts for Sony portable cassette players, a friend of mine wrote a song for his band called 'Year of the Zombie'. The difference with the iPod is staggering. They're light, the sound quality is amazing and you can carry hundreds of pieces without resort to plastic boxes. But of course, everyone else knows this already...

It makes me wonder how we'll be playing our recorded music after another 23 years.